It technically isn’t possible to add video to a Craigslist ad but this workaround will get you very close. It’ll take a few steps but the end result will keep Craigslist users engaged and help you close more sales.
How to Add the Video Link
- Upload video to your YouTube or Vimeo account.
- Take a screenshot of the video on pause.
- You’ll need this screenshot to create the “preview” image of the video for the Craigslist ad. Use the “PrtSc” key on a PC or Command+Shift+4 on a Mac.
- Upload the screenshot to https://imgbox.com.
- After the image is uploaded, click on “Full Size” and then copy the code from the middle box under HTML-Code. You’ll just need the image link in the middle portion, which should look something like this: https://images2.imgbox.com/d7/08/2uyynxJ2_o.jpg
- It is recommended that you resize you images to be about 500 pixels wide. Picmonkey.com is great for editing images if you need a free tool.
- Add the following HTML code to your Craigslist Ad where you want the video preview to show up. Be sure to replace the YouTube and Imgur links with your own links.
- <a href=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh00NTv05FA“><img src=”https://images2.imgbox.com/d7/08/2uyynxJ2_o.jpg” ></a>
- Keep in mind that Craigslist doesn’t allow links (or images) in some of their ad categories. You’ll need the ability to use both image and link HTML in the Craigslist ad.
Example of the Video Preview Image in a Craigslist Ad
This will give an end result that looks like an embedded YouTube video. The good part of this strategy is that it is not tricking the Craigslist user since it is leading the intended video.
Make sure to add a great description to your video on YouTube/Vimeo as well. It is much easier to add links and calls to action on YouTube than it is on Craigslist, so take full advantage.
Consider adding a Craigslist emoji, symbol, or icon in the title to signal there’s a video. Online users love the option of watching a video. Plus, adding one of these symbols to your title can help draw attention to your ad:
🎥 🎦 🎞️ 📽️ 📺
Keep in mind you can also link to a page on your own website with that YouTube video embedded. This can give you the most control over the user experience. Just make sure to keep the user’s best interests in mind when adding a video to a Craigslist ad so you can maximize quality leads.
Table of Contents